Camera and Motion Capture Systems Engineer
The AIT lab at ETH Zurich is looking for highly motivated engineering support for this exciting endeavor and to be a crucial part of the ETH Volumetric Motion Capture Platform team. We are looking for a Camera and Motion Capture System Engineer to support and manage the existing system based on machine-vision cameras, as well as designing and developing new capturing solutions to support the computer vision research efforts of the University.
The AIT Lab is currently building a state of the art 3D motion capture platform based on a massive multi-view camera system to record and reconstruct the detailed 3D geometry of humans and scenes with high spatial and temporal resolution. The data capture facility will be an important building block in advancing cutting edge research in computer vision, computer graphics and beyond. The project will help in building the next generation of perceptual AI systems.
- Work on maintaining, developing, redesigning, and reconfiguring over 200 machine vision cameras and motion-capture systems.
- Integrate new sensing technologies with our systems, ensuring high-accuracy calibration and synchronization between the systems.
- Design, build, and improve the structural design of our capturing facilities, such as our 12mx6x5m optical motion capture system and unique Volumetric studio equipped with more than 100 machine vision cameras
- Constantly update their knowledge and experience in order to assist with the development of the next generation of capturing technologies.
- Build from ground-up technical capabilities as well as organizational structure of our facility.
- Communicate with research staff in order to understand their research goals, and help with providing the best solution based on existing systems.
- Proven experience in a relevant field coupled with hands-on technical expertise in handling cutting-edge camera systems.
- Experience in electronics systems and hands-on knowledge in mechanical design and assembly.
- Basic experience in programming and scripting, IT support and troubleshooting.
- Natural team player, capable of methodically solving problems, passion for technology.
- Desire to keep capturing facility organized, and capable of writing detailed logbook entries
- Ability to communicate in English and German is a plus.
- Experience with optical motion capture systems and technology preferably gained in the movie / gaming industry, including system setup and operation, marker-set placement/design, and data processing.
- Experience with computer vision systems (e.g., camera synchronization and calibration, multi-camera capture, motion capture systems, 3D scanners, VR/AR…).
- Experience with digital photography, cameras, and post-processing.
- Experience working with audio recording equipment.
- Experience using CAD and related software (Blender, 3DS Max, Unity, Solidworks).
- A desire to “get your hands dirty” on the way to create the technology of the future.
We look forward to receiving your online application with the following documents:
- Your CV
- One-A4-page presenting one of your relevant projects, highlighting how you applied these skills, feel free to add figures and links to the code. Please also add one paragraph stating why you think you would be a good match for this position.
Kindly forward all documents in one PDF file. Complete application dossiers will have full consideration.
Please note that we exclusively accept applications submitted through our online application portal. Applications via email or postal services will not be considered.
Further information about AIT Lab can be found on our website https://ait.ethz.ch/research/. Questions regarding the position should be directed to Prof. Dr. Otmar Hilliges email email@example.com (no applications).
For recruitment services the GTC of ETH Zurich apply.