Digitalisation & IT Catalyst
At the ETH Student Project House (SPH) we inspire and empower students to cultivate a maker and innovator mindset. We believe that by exploring their ideas and developing their own projects, students gain valuable hands-on experience and learn important skills for their future. This is why we’ve created an ecosystem where students (Bachelor, Master, and Doctoral) are encouraged to ideate, build prototypes, test and refine them.
Our interdisciplinary team of thirteen people provides students that want to pursue extracurricular projects of various types and scales with a comprehensive range of support. We have a co-working, ideation, and event space and offer coaching. On the other hand we have a greatly equipped Makerspace that gives students access to the tools and equipment they need to prototype.
As we need to optimize our digital ecosystem, need everyday support and want to educate digital savvy innovators, we’re now looking for Digitalisation Catalyst. Read on to see if that might be you!
You’ll work in one of the most inspiring spaces at ETH Zürich, surrounded by 3D-printers, whiteboards, ideation equipment, self-designed furniture, and plants.
- We’re currently based at a pilot location on the ETH Hönggerberg campus. In September, we’ll also be opening a newly renovated five-story building in the ETH Centre.
- We work in the same open space as our project teams and meet with everyone at eye level. The individuals we work with are from a diverse range of backgrounds and study disciplines, which is why we communicate in English.
- We offer a contract for 2 year with the possibility to prolong the contract.
You’ll be responsible for the following tasks:
- Front and Backend Development
- You'll develop and build software, apps and electronic hardware we need to optimize our processes, move from manual tasks to automated scalable solutions and create a great customer experience.
- The basics of our new webpage is currently in development by an external agency. When it's up and running, you'll develop new features, workflows, pages and tools we need. At the same time you also take care of its maintenance.
- To ensure the safe usage of our machines (3D printers, laser cutters, etc.), we have developed back- and frontend of a machine control system that only lets users use the machines once they have had a safety introduction. This system is crucial for us to keep our Makerspace running and you will be the one developing new features and taking care of maintenance.
- Coaching. You'll coach our students with your digital expertise to realize their ideas and learn new things. Both in 1:1 coaching sessions as well as in workshops for multiple teams. Topics range, but are not limited to basics in coding, machine learning, augmented reality, software/web/app development, etc.
- Support. You’ll take care of the general IT support for our team. This ranges from ordering, setting up and maintaining hardware, software and servers, connecting with ETH-internal IT services when necessary, ensuring our data is safe, adhering to ETH guidelines and supporting the team with any digital tools.
We need your digital expertise to support our students and the team:
- You have a Bachelor or Master degree in Computer Science or related discipline (and/or demonstrated equivalent knowledge).
- You have good knowledge of HTML, CSS, PHP, C++, Qt/QML, SQL databases and/or the ability and motivation to learn new languages.
- You have several years of experience with server administration, implementing workflows for organizations and/or web development (front- and backend).
- You have experience in realizing your own projects. You’ve failed, learned from it, and tried again.
- You enjoy working with people and you’re passionate about supporting them.
- You are able to react flexibly in urgent situations (i.e. if urgent webpage or server problems occur).
A note: research indicates that women and individuals from marginalized groups tend to apply only when they meet all of the criteria. If you believe you’re qualified, but don’t necessarily check every box, please submit an application.
We’d love to get to know you! Please record a maximum two-minute video clip introducing yourself and the coolest digital project (e.g. webpage, app, project...) you have realized. We're not looking for video production skills - just use your smartphone, be yourself, and don't worry about editing the clip. We want to meet the real you!
Upload the video on a platform of your choice (Dropbox, YouTube, Vimeo, Google Drive, ...) and include the URL link in your cover letter.
We look forward to receiving your online application with the following documents:
- Cover letter, including the URL link to your video clip
Please note that we can only accept applications submitted through our online application portal. Applications via email or by post will not be considered.