Ph.D. Student positions at the Department of Chemistry and Applied Biosciences/ Analytical Chemistry
We seek to fill several new Ph.D. student positions in our research group in early 2022.
We will have Ph.D. student projects in the following areas of analytical science:
- Ambient ionization mass spectrometry; applications to on-line exhaled breath analysis
- Soft ionization mass spectrometry (ESI, MALDI) to study noncovalent complexes
- Investigation of gas-phase conformations of biomolecular ions using a combination of mass spectrometric methods and optical spectroscopy (laser-induced fluorescence, FRET)
- Nanoscale vibrational spectroscopy and molecular imaging; tip-enhanced Raman spectroscopy
Motivation to work with state-of-the-art instrumentation (some of them custom-made / home built), mass spectrometry, and laser spectroscopy is important.
Prerequisites: M.Sc. degree, Diploma or equivalent in Chemistry or related area, very good grades for fulfilling admissions conditions to ETH Zurich, strong background in analytical chemistry, physical chemistry, instrumentation or optics.
A working knowledge of German is advantageous, since all Ph.D. students are expected to act as teaching assistants during their tenure at our department.
We look forward to receiving your online application with the following documents:
- CV and list of publications (if any)
- Transcripts and grades received
- 2 letters of recommendation
Please note that we prefer applications submitted through our online application portal. Application submitted via email will not be considered.
Further information about our research can be found on our website. Starting date: spring 2022 / upon mutual agreement. Questions regarding the position should be directed to Prof. Renato Zenobi, Tel +41 44 632 43 76 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
In line with our values, ETH Zurich encourages an inclusive culture. We promote equality of opportunity, value diversity and nurture a working and learning environment in which the rights and dignity of all our staff and students are respected. Visit our Equal Opportunities and Diversity website to find out how we ensure a fair and open environment that allows everyone to grow and flourish.