Lab Manager at ETH CAPS
This position is based at the CAPS Lab of ETH Zurich, a division of the Mechanical and Process Engineering Department. The CAPS Lab performs fundamental and applied research in the areas of Combustion, Acoustics and Fluid Mechanics.
You will be part of a small, dynamical, highly interdisciplinary and international team, working on several scientific projects.
Many of these projects are related to the development of new technologies for clean combustion of sustainably produced fuels, such as hydrogen, in transportation and energy sectors. You will be responsible for the laboratory infrastructure and experimental equipment for combustion, acoustics and fluid mechanics research.
The employment is initially on a two-years fixed-term contract; a switch to a permanent position can be considered afterwards. A direct permanent position may be proposed to exceptionally well-qualified candidates.
The main responsibilities of this position include:
- Set-up testing facility (assembly of experimental test rigs for combustion, acoustics and fluid mechanics research) for different projects, including for instance the mounting of high pressure vessels
- Develop and maintain measurement chains (thermocouples, mass flow controllers, static and dynamic pressure sensors, data acquisition system, Labview programming)
- Participate in the set-up of more advanced diagnostics such as high-speed camera and laser-based systems for flow velocimetry
- Adapt or modify test rig components for new projects, do the mechanical design for small modifications and interact with external engineering companies for more complex design and manufacturing tasks
- Actively participate in measurement campaigns
- Manage lab safety regulations for the laboratories and lab members including laser safety
- Maintain and operate the laboratory equipment and infrastructure on a daily basis
We are looking for a pro-active team player who can also work independently. An open minded, hands-on problem solver with a can-do attitude. It is also crucial that the candidate has strong rigor and organizational skills.
- Bachelor or Master degree in Engineering
- Languages required: German and English
- CAD Expertise and familiarity with 3-D printing tools is a plus
We look forward to receiving your online application with the following documents:
- Motivation letter and CV
- Reference letters
- Certificates (Zeugnisse)
Please note that we exclusively accept applications submitted through our online application portal. Applications via email or postal services will not be considered.
Further information about CAPS can be found on our website www.caps.ethz.ch. Questions regarding the position should be directed to Prof. Dr. Nicolas Noiray, email@example.com (no applications).
For recruitment services the GTC of ETH Zurich apply.