Software Engineer Medical Device
The Wyss Zurich is a joint accelerator of the ETH Zurich and the University of Zurich, which was made possible by a generous donation from the Swiss entrepreneur and philanthropist Dr. hc. mult. Hansjörg Wyss. The mission of Wyss Zurich is to drive the clinical translation and technology transfer of outstanding scientific discoveries into new therapies for patients and breakthrough innovations in the emerging fields of Regenerative Medicine and Robotics, and to promote hybrid technologies in these fields. Wyss Zurich brings together some of the world’s leading experts to form multidisciplinary teams, pooling their knowledge and expertise. For further information: www.wysszurich.uzh.ch.
Liver4Life develops novel therapeutic strategies for liver regeneration consisting of:
- Surgical resection of a small healthy piece of the liver from the patient
- Growth of this piece outside of the body in a perfusion machine until a sufficient size is reached
- Retransplantation of the regenerated liver to the original patient while removing the remaining diseased part. Current perfusion systems are not able to keep a liver alive outside of the body for a sufficient time (5-7 days) to allow growth and regeneration to occur.
With our developed perfusion devices, we are able to preserve a liver outside of the body for up to 7 days prior to transplantation. The perfusion device is fully automated and supplies the liver with nutrients, drugs, hormones and oxygen. The next step in the project is a clinical study as final proof of the preservation technology. To this end, the perfusion device needs to qualify for use in a clinical study. Safety and performance of the device has to be shown with respect to all applicable regulations and norms.
To bring our prototypes to the next level we are looking for a Software Engineer Medical Device Expert. In your role in our dynamic team, you will fulfill the following tasks:
- Contribute to the software development of the perfusion device
- Maintain existing Matlab/Simulink code base and understand code swiftly to a level where you can apply changes to the software and associated electronics
- Develop embedded software to integrate and control relevant machine components
- Design & implement control algorithms for the control of device functions
- Integrate hardware components into existing perfusion system
- Contribute to concept, prototype and product development in an interdisciplinary environment
- Collaborate with regulatory and quality experts
- Participate in perfusion runs
- MSc in Control Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechatronics, or Process Engineering
- Experience with embedded software development in Matlab/Simulink and C
- Deep understanding of control systems
- Experience in medical software development is an advantage, including familiarity with key standards, e.g. IEC 62304, ISO 14971 and ISO 13485
- Strong interest in interdisciplinary work and willingness to dive into new topics and understand medical requirements
- Passionate about best practice software development practices and technologies
- Good interpersonal skills, teamwork, multi-cultural compatibility
- Fluency in English; German is a plus
- Flexibility, motivated and self-driven attitude
We look forward to receiving your online application with the following documents:
- Motivation Letter
- Track record, diplomas, reference letters
Please note that we exclusively accept applications submitted through our online application portal. Applications via email or postal services will not be considered.
Further information about Liver4Life can be found on our website. For further questions contact Dr. Max Hefti; firstname.lastname@example.org (no applications).
In line with our values, ETH Zurich encourages an inclusive culture. We promote equality of opportunity, value diversity and nurture a working and learning environment in which the rights and dignity of all our staff and students are respected. Visit our Equal Opportunities and Diversity website to find out how we ensure a fair and open environment that allows everyone to grow and flourish.