The Laboratory for Biological Engineering (Prof. Randall J Platt) of ETH Zurich in Basel develops genome engineering technologies and applies them to a range of fundamental and disease-focused areas (www.platt.ethz.ch) and to advance these efforts we are seeking a full-time Lab Manager with expertise in molecular and cellular biology as well as mouse models.
We are looking for a highly organized lab manager to join a multidisciplinary team of researchers. The candidate will work closely with the PI and laboratory members in running and managing the laboratory. Lab management duties primarily include managing the team’s laboratory processes (e.g., lab meetings, lab jobs, ordering), maintaining and developing the lab infrastructure, serving as the primary contact point for internal and external partners, writing and maintaining licenses (e.g., animal, stem cell, biosafety) in collaboration with group members and serving as the lead officer when applicable, and overseeing the lab’s mouse colony in collaboration with animal facility staff.
- PhD or equivalent in Molecular and Cellular Biology, Molecular Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Molecular Medicine, or a related field.
- LTK module 1, or FELASA category B equivalent, and experience with mouse handling and colony management.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to respectfully and productively manage and interact with all levels of staff and external contacts.
- A track record in acquiring positions of leadership and/or responsibility.
- A passion and aptitude for organization and logistics.
- The ideal candidate will have prior experience with most of the following points:
- standard molecular biology techniques (e.g., PCR, RT-qPCR, DNA/RNA electrophoresis, SDS-PAGE and Western blots, etc);
- mammalian cell culture and virus production (e.g., AAV, Lentivirus);
- microbiological culture (at least E. coli in the context of molecular cloning and/or protein production);
- immunostaining and histopathology;
- light microscopy.
- Highly proficient in written and spoken English. Proficiency in written and spoken German is a major plus.
We look forward to receiving your application including, as a single PDF:
- Cover letter that contextualizes your CV, including: background, career aspirations, laboratory management experience and/or experience in positions of leadership/responsibility, and why you are interested in the group
- Contact details of three referees (at least two former supervisors)
Please submit your applications online. Applications via email will not be considered. Questions about the position should be directed to Prof. Platt at email@example.com (no applications please).