Data Scientist – Industry Collaborations at Swiss Data Science Center
Accelerating the adoption of data science in Switzerland
The Swiss Data Science Center (SDSC) is a joint venture between ETH Zurich and EPFL. The Swiss Confederation has mandated us to accelerate the adoption of data science in academia and industry.
The Swiss Data Science Center is a stimulating, startup-like, cross-disciplinary environment in a leading university that offers opportunities for turning academic research into impactful solutions, with excellent ties to research groups worldwide, both academic and industrial. It has access to state-of-the-art infrastructure and resources.
Why apply to the SDSC?
Are you passionate about data science, familiar with machine learning, and keen on deepening your experience on the topic? Are you willing to solve industry challenges while being coached by experienced data scientists? Would you love to work in a startup-like mindset but think that collaborating with an academic structure is a definite plus? Are you eager to be part of a diverse and adaptable team with growth opportunities of its members at its core?
If you can answer yes to these questions, you should consider joining us. We are a growing team of passionate data scientists who tackle business challenges and provide actionable results. Together, we will help move the Swiss Industry to the next level of data science.
- Design, implement and test machine learning systems to solve industry challenges.
- Be involved in all aspects of a data science research project, from business understanding to proof of concepts and communication of achievements.
More specifically, in this role, you will:
- Meet customers to understand their business needs and design specific data science solutions to solve selected problems.
- Code and test the proposed solution (PoC), communicate results to stakeholders, and provide final reports of the work done and related outcomes.
- Present data science results to other non-technical audiences on occasion.
We are looking for candidates (m/w/d) with the following profile:
- Master’s degree in computer science, Mathematics, Physics, or similar field (Ph.D. a plus)
- Ability to present results to different audiences (technical, non-technical)
- Solid knowledge of machine learning concepts and programming skills in Python, R, or a similar language
- 1-3 years of data science experience within the industry is highly appreciated
- Fluency in English (French/German is an asset).
- Openness to collaborative work, eagerness to learn new concepts and methods, willingness to contribute to an inclusive environment.
- Solid knowledge in NLP / Computer Vision, and graph theory is a plus.
- Inspiring working environment.
- During your work, you will have the opportunity to be coached by data scientists with an academic background and industry experts.
- When dealing with data engineering aspects, you will have the opportunity to collaborate with our system specialists.
- The academic environment will allow you to grow your machine learning and statistics skills thanks to training
Start date: March 2022 or by agreement
Duration: 1-year renewable
We look forward to receiving your online application with the following documents:
- Cover letter
Please note that we exclusively accept applications submitted through our online application portal. Applications via email or postal services will not be considered.
Further information about the Swiss Data Science Center (SDSC) can be found on our website. Questions regarding the position should be directed to Nina Pupikofer, Email [email@example.com] (no applications).
For recruitment services the GTC of ETH Zurich apply.
In line with our values, ETH Zurich encourages an inclusive culture. We promote equality of opportunity, value diversity and nurture a working and learning environment in which the rights and dignity of all our staff and students are respected. Visit our Equal Opportunities and Diversity website to find out how we ensure a fair and open environment that allows everyone to grow and flourish.