Postdoctoral Researcher - Dynamic Quantum Simulations
A postdoctoral position is available as of now in the Polymer Physics Group of Prof. Hans Christian Öttinger at ETH Zurich for an experienced candidate to pursue research on dynamic quantum simulations.
Stochastic simulation techniques based on reversible and irreversible evolution equations for density matrices.
Our present focus is on developing a stochastic simulation technique based on the von Neumann equation for density matrices on Fock spaces, that is, for reversible dynamics. The key idea is to treat interactions as jump processes in a way that is similar to two-process unravelings for dissipative quantum master equations . Our simulation technique may also be considered as a dynamic version of the density-matrix quantum Monte Carlo method . The ultimate long-term goal are stochastic simulation techniques for dissipative quantum field theory .
- H.-P. Breuer and F. Petruccione, The theory of open quantum systems (Oxford University Press, 2007).
- N.S. Blunt et al., Density-matrix quantum Monte Carlo method, Phys. Rev. B 89 (2014) 245124.
- H.C. Öttinger, A philosophical approach to quantum field theory (Cambridge University Press, 2017).
The starting date of this position is as soon as possible, the ending date is 31 January 2023.
We are looking for experienced candidates, preferably with a PhD in physics.
We look forward to receiving your online application with the following documents:
- Motivation letter (make the link to the research of the group)
- Information about grades (full transcripts) and other measures of success
- Two letters of recommendation
Please note that we exclusively accept applications submitted through our online application portal.
Further information about the Polymer Physics group can be found on our website www.polyphys.mat.ethz.ch. Questions regarding the position should be directed to Prof. Hans Christian Öttinger by email firstname.lastname@example.org (no applications).