Research assistant in spatial analyses and social-ecological systems modeling for landscape planning
80%-100%, Zurich, fixed-term
The Chair of Planning of Landscape and Urban Systems (PLUS) at ETH Zürich is offering a research assistant position in spatial analyses and social-ecological systems modeling for mapping ecosystem services, soundscapes and ecological infrastructure.
The position is 80 – 100 % for one year, after which the position can potentially be extended or continued in the form of a PhD.
At PLUS, we are developing approaches that combine spatial datasets (including remote sensing data) with land-use models as well as expert and stakeholder knowledge to support land-use decision-making and landscape planning. Our projects address the information needs of governmental agencies and the broader public.
Your tasks will include:
- working with GIS
- processing satellite imagery
- and developing models with experts and stakeholders
You will work in a dynamic and interdisciplinary group led by Prof. Adrienne Grêt-Regamey.
- a background (completed or soon to complete master's degree) in Environmental Science or Environmental Engineering, Geography, or a related field.
- a deep understanding of landscape or social-ecological systems
- highly skilled with GIS and have some experience working with remote sensing data.
- experience with programming (e.g. in R or Python).
- proficiency in English (written and oral).
- proficiency in German or French (written and oral), experience in spatial modelling and Life Cycle Analysis are an advantage.
ETH Zurich is a family-friendly employer with excellent working conditions. You can look forward to an exciting working environment, cultural diversity and attractive offers and benefits.
We value diversity
Curious? So are we.
We look forward to receiving your online application with the following documents by July 31st 2022:
- a curriculum vitae
- a complete academic transcript including undergraduate and graduate courses
- copies of diploma/certificates
- contact information of 2-3 potential referees
- and a short description of research interests
We will evaluate the applications when they come in. Please note that we exclusively accept applications submitted through our online application portal. Applications via postal services will not be considered.
For further information about the group, please visit our website at www.plus.ethz.ch. Questions regarding the position should be directed to Dr Maarten van Strien by email, vanstrien[at]ethz.ch (no applications).